What We Circulate
An active membership card in good standing or valid photo ID must be presented at checkout for materials or museum passes. Sign-up for a library card if you don't have one yet! With your library card you can borrow:
- Books & magazines (print & digital)
- Movies (DVDs, Blu-ray, & digital)
- Music (CDs & digital)
- Audiobooks (CDs & digital)
- Video games
- Video game systems
- Museum passes (select locations in NH & MA; typically limited to 1 per day. Reserve online at website/in person at library)
- A telescope
- Baking trays/molds
- Board games
- and so much more!
Lending: There is no limit on the number of items borrowed on a card provided the user account has less than $10.00 in fees and is in good standing. Most items circulate for 2 weeks, with the exception of:
- Museum Passes (circulate overnight)
- Hot Books (copies of newer, popular items; circulate for 7 days)
- Selected newer releases of DVDs (circulate for 7 days)
- Library of Things items
Replacement Costs: Borrowers are liable for the replacement cost of any item that is damaged, lost, or stolen while in their possession or checked out on their library card.
The library does not restrict access to any materials on the basis of a person's color, religion, national origin, disability, political views, socio-economic status, sex, or age. Equal access to our collection and services is essential to our mission for the entire community.
Requesting Materials: Items in the catalog that are listed as "In" can be placed on hold either online or in-person. However, if someone else borrows the material between the time you place the request and a staff member retrieves it, your name will still appear on that item's "Hold List" and you will be notified when that item is returned.
- All "hold requests" are pulled from the stacks twice a day, time-permitting
- Once an item is ready for pick-up, the patron will be notified by email or phone
- Items are held for 7 days from the time of notification. If not picked up within that time, staff will need to release the hold to make it available to other users.
Regarding Temporarily Unavailable Items: Some items are temporarily unavailable to borrow because they have a status of "Checked out", "In-process", or "On-order". Cardholders may still request the item by placing a hold request online, in person at the Circulation or Reference Desks, or via telephone. However, there may be a waiting list for popular items. In the event that materials are not available for immediate checkout (due to varying library policies), please visit our Reference Desk to be assisted via Interlibrary Loan.
Interlibrary Loans (Requests for Items Not Available in the GMILCS Consortium): If an item cannot be requested from one of the participating GMILCS consortium libraries, please visit our Reference Desk. They may be able to request items from other libraries as an interlibrary loan (ILL) request either within the state of NH (free of charge) or from libraries in other states (fees may apply).
Renewing Borrowed Material: Most materials may be renewed twice, either in person, by telephone during business hours, or online via our Catalog.
- Items for which another patron has placed a "hold request" cannot be renewed.
- The number of renewals allowed may vary for materials borrowed from other GMILCS libraries, as per their individual policies.
Returning Borrowed Material: Cardholders are responsible for the timely return of library materials. There are several places to return your items:
1) Circulation Desk drop slot (during business hours)
2) Exterior book drop by the shed as you exit the parking lot
3) Remote book drop at the Merrimack Fire Department Station #2 (196 Naticook Rd.)
Note: Please DO NOT return museum passes or ILL loans to this book drop!
4) Any participating GMILCS member library (with the exception of museum passes and ILL loans)
All borrowing is free (with the exception of certain ILL loaned items). As of January 2022, the Merrimack Public Library is no longer collecting overdue fees on any Merrimack Public Library materials. The Library automatically renews most borrowed library materials up to two renewals. Items that are not returned after reaching their renewal limits will be marked as overdue, and notices and bills for overdue items will be sent according to the schedule found here (link opens PDF).
Lost or Damaged Materials:
- Borrowers are liable for the repair or replacement cost of any item that is damaged, lost or stolen, while in their possession, or checked out on their library card. Replacement costs will be assessed for lost or damaged items.
- Sometimes people want to provide the library with a replacement copy instead of paying the list price of the lost/damaged items. A replacement item can only be accepted at the discretion of respective department heads. Please speak to the Circulation Staff if you have any questions.
Paying Fees: Replacement costs and fees for out-of-state ILL borrowing can be paid either online or at the Circulation Desk.
- At the Circulation Desk: Cash and personal checks only!
- Online: Cardholders can pay fees online with a credit card. A $2.00 non-refundable convenience fee will be assessed with each electronic payment made in this way. Note that the eCommerce portal should be accessed using a secure internet connection; the library's public Wi-Fi network is not secure
Borrowing privileges may be suspended for accrued fees of more than $10.00 per card or for materials that are still overdue.